ceftriaxon Eberth powder and solvent
Antibacterials for systemic use, Third-generation cephalosporins,
ATC code: J01DD04
Mechanism of action:
Ceftriaxone inhibits bacterial cell wall synthesis following attachment to penicillin binding proteins (PBPs). This results in the interruption of cell wall (peptidoglycan) biosynthesis, which leads to cell lysis and death of the bacterias.
Ceftriaxone Eberth is used to treat the following infections in adults and children, including newborns (from birth):
- Bacterial meningitis
- Community acquired pneumonia
- Hospital-acquired pneumonia
- Acute otitis media
- Infections in the abdomen
- Complicated urinary tract infections (including pyelonephritis)
- Infections of the bones and joints
- Complicated skin and soft tissue infections
- Bacterial endocarditis
Ceftriaxon Eberth can be used:
- For the treatment of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in adults
- For the treatment of disseminated Lyme disease (early and late stage [II + III]) in adults and children including newborns from 15 days of age
- For preoperative infection prophylaxis during surgery
- Treatment of neutropenic patients with fever if a bacterial infection is suspected
- Treatment of patients with bacteremia which is associated with or is suspected of having any of the above infections.
Ceftriaxon Eberth should be administered together with other antibiotics whenever the potential spectrum of pathogens is not covered by its efficacy.