Antibacterials for systemic use, carbapenems
ATC code: J01DH02
Mechanism of action:
Meropenem exerts its bactericidal activity by inhibiting bacterial cell wall synthesis in Gram-positive and Gram-negative bacteria through binding to penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs).
Meropenem Friedrich Eberth is indicated for the treatment of the following infections in adults and children older than 3 months:
- severe pneumonia, including community-acquired and nosocomial pneumonia
- broncho-pulmonary infections in cystic fibrosis,
- complicated infections of the kidneys and lower urinary tract,
- complicated intra-abdominal infections,
- intra- and post-partum infections,
- complicated skin and soft tissue infections,
- acute bacterial meningitis.
Meropenem Friedrich Eberth may be used in the management of neutropenic patients with fever that is suspected to be due to a bacterial infection.
Treatment of patients with bacteraemia that occurs in association with, or is suspected to be associated with, any of the infections listed above.