Antibiotics for systemic use; Other antibacterials
ATC code: J01XX01
Mechanism of action:
Fosfomycin exerts a bactericidal effect on proliferating pathogens by preventing the enzymatic synthesis of the bacterial cell wall. Fosfomycin inhibits the first stage of intracellular bacterial cell wall synthesis by blocking peptidoglycan synthesis.
Fosfomycin is actively transported into the bacterial cell via two different transport systems (the sn-glycerol-3-phosphate and hexose-6 transport systems).
Fosfomycin Eberth is indicated in all age groups for the treatment of the following infections when it is considered inappropriate to use antibacterial agents that are commonly recommended for their initial treatment:
- complicated urinary tract infections
- infective endocarditis
- bone and joint infections
- hospital-acquired pneumonia, including ventilator-associated pneumonia
- complicated skin and soft tissue infection
- bacterial meningitis
- complicated intra-abdominal infections
- bacteraemia that occurs in association with, or is suspected to be associated with, any of the infections listed above
Consideration should be given to official guidance on the appropriate use of antibacterial agents.