Cefotaxime is a parenteral betalactam-antibiotic of the group of cephalosporins.
ATC Code: J01DD01
Mechanism of action:
The bactericidal activity of cefotaxime results from the inhibition of bacterial cell wall synthesis (in the period of growth) caused by an blockade of penicillin-binding proteins (PBPs) like e. g. transpeptidases. This results in a bactericidal effect.
Cefotaxime Eberth is indicated for the treatment of the following severe infections when known or thought very likely to be due to bacteria that are susceptible to cefotaxime:
- Bacterial pneumonia.
- Complicated infections of the kidneys and upper urinary tract.
- Severe infections of the skin and soft tissue.
- Genital infections caused by gonococci, particularly when penicillin has failed or is unsuitable.
- Intra-abdominal infections (such as peritonitis).
- Acute bacterial meningitis
- Septicaemic infections originating from the lungs, urinary tract or intestines.