Antibiotics for systemic use; Aminoglycoside antibiotics
ATC code: J01GB06
Mechanism of action:
The mechanism of action of amikacin is based on a disruption of protein synthesis on the bacterial ribosome through interaction with the rRNA and subsequent inhibition of translation. This results in a bactericidal effect.
Treatment of the following serious infections caused by bacteria susceptible to amikacin when less toxic antibiotics are not effective:
- nosocomial lower respiratory tract infections including severe pneumonia,
- intra-abdominal infections, including peritonitis,
- complicated and recurrent urinary tract infections,
- skin and soft tissue infections, including infected burn wounds,
- bacterial endocarditis,
- postoperative intra-abdominal infections.
Amikacin Eberth can also be used to treat patients with bacteremia, which occurs in connection with the infections mentioned above, or in whom such a connection is suspected.
Amikacin Eberth is often combined with other suitable antibiotics to cover the bacterial spectrum of the infection in question.